Monday, July 19, 2010

It's Hip to Be a Square Root


Stockholm, Sweden 

No one ever said that math was easy. Well...unless their name is Fritz. It was no surprise to the mathematical community when Professor Fritz Von Schitz was awarded the Noble Peace Prize in Stockholm Sweden Saturday evening for his excellence in teaching.

Professor Von Schitz or as his friends like to call him, "Schtizie" developed a unique method for his students to learn algebra.

It was 1986- a time for stone-washed jeans, Chernobyl, and Huey Lewis to release Fore. "I couldn't resist. I was swept up in the muse of what was Huey Lewis before I knew it," Von Schitz exclaimed.

During a third period high school algebra 1 class, a student was caught listening to a Sony Walkman. Before the student could snap his fingers to the beat, the professor confiscated the personal audio player. That's when the master of mathematics, the arbitrator of algebra got hooked on Huey.

"I took the player home and listened to the single Hip To Be Square over and over again. By the time I arrived to my classroom the following Monday, I could not conceive of teaching without Huey." That is when a light bulb went off in the young professor's mind. From that day forward, he combined music with math.

"I like the classics- Huey, Pat Benatar, Journey. But I have experimented with Metallica and Pantera and that Snoop Dogg character. But it gets the kids too crazy and all they want to do is fuck!"

-Silly's Soft News

Silly's Soft News, your silly news source...updated whenever we are feeling particularly silly.